Thursday, November 11, 2010

I need a nap.

The last couple of days have been nuts!  Well y'all know all the jazz going on with the IVF stuff, duh.  But we've also had some doggie drama as of late.  We've been keeping my parents' big golden, Bailey, for the last week and a half while they've been cruising around on a big ship.  Bailey is very large for his breed - over 100 lbs and probably 25 of that is hair.  He thinks he weighs 15lbs and the silliest little thing will scare him.  So it doesn't take much to wind up with a 100 lb fuzzball jumping in your lap out of nowhere.  And poor thing tries so hard to play with our two girls, but Belly just gives him "eat shit" looks and Gertie runs the other way.  He's nothing but sweet, but the boy has lots of skin and ear issues, among other things, and is in and out of the vet a lot.  "High maintenance" as my mom calls it.  So of course along with his bag of meds, other goodies, and typed care instructions, my mom made sure to inform his vet that the hub and I would be taking care of him for a couple of weeks and that we had decision-making authority for his care, if needed.  Yes, we are talking about a dog here.  We dog people are crazy!
So anyway, Bailey tends to get ear infections quite easily so my parents are always on the offense, trying to keep his ears clear of any gunk.  As I was cleaning out his ears the other day, I felt this large blister-like mass on his left ear.  He's got sweet, soft floppy ears, so this was obviously NOT normal.  After asking my parents about it, we contacted the vet and they said to bring him on in because it might be a hematoma.  So I took him to the vet (well he drug me behind him actually) and sure enough, it was a hematoma and the only real option was to surgically drain it and stitch it back up.  So we scheduled surgery for him the next morning (today).  I brought him home last night and he was so nervous after the vet visit that he threw up as soon as I sat his dinner in front of him.  (He tends to urp when he gets nervous... he did so when my parents were packing for their trip.)  But two minutes later he was fine and gobbled up his dinner.
This morning I dropped him off bright and early.  Surgery went fine and I'll be picking him up here pretty soon.  He'll have to wear one of those big Elizabethan collars for a few weeks!  So I get to play nurse tonight for the fuzzy boy.  His surgery went perfectly and he is doing great!  It was actually weird being at the vet these last two days - I haven't been to any vet in so long because the hub has taken our dogs the last few times they've needed to go, especially Charlie.  So it all made me think of Charlie too - sure do miss that boy.  I think of him everyday.
So yes, craziness with dogs along with craziness with trying to make babies!  I had one last acupuncture session today before tomorrow's surgery.  I did the whole pre-op routine over the phone with the surgical center this afternoon.  Last night the hub gave me the big HCG injection (trigger shot).   I was nervous about it because (a) it's a bigger needle than my others and (b) it had to be done at a very precise time since the retrieval occurs exactly 36 hours later.  But we got it done on time and all was fine!  I had a bit of a sore left bun, but it went away fairly quickly. 
Still feeling pretty sore/achy and just tired overall.  I get really worn out by the end of the day.  And dear me, my boobs were so freakin' sore when I woke up this morning.  And really every part of me just seems extra sensitive.  For instance, acupuncture usually doesn't hurt at all.  I mean, occasionally Dr. Liu will hit a spot that crosses your eyes, but in general it's relatively pain-free.  Well today like nearly every needle going in was uncomfortable.  My follies must be sucking up all my energy!  My belly just feels crampy and tight.  It's still working hard.  Nothing unbearable, but it's that kind of "bleh" feeling where you'd like to just stretch out on the couch with a Snuggie and the remote.
I'm guessing my body will sorta start to get back to normal after these blood-sucking follies disappear.  But I'll be on the estrogen and progesterone junk starting tomorrow, so not completely normal.  My weight has stayed the same - up, but the same.  Still bloated around my mid-section.  It just gets kind of uncomfortable to sit after a while.  So I'm seriously looking forward to being horizontal for much of tomorrow!  I've been craving this drug-induced nap all week.
We're reporting to the surgical center at 8 o'clock sharp in the morning... in grubby clothes and no makeup, mind you, so if you see me and call my name I'll pretend I can't hear you.  Oh and typical with surgery, I can't eat or drink anything after midnight tonight.  Ugh!  I hate that.  I'm a big breakfast eater so my tummy's going to be GROWLING come 8am.  They better knock me out fast!
Well, here goes, kiddos.  Not sure when I'll be awake enough to give an update, but I'll let you know how the retrieval goes when I can!  I forget when exactly we'll get word on how many eggs were retrieved... later that day or next afternoon maybe?  I'll let y'all know what we hear!  Thanks so much for all the encouraging words and prayers... we're so excited to get this far!  Every step is worth celebrating!
Current mood: Pumped! Excited!!!


Moon said...

Good luck for egg retrieval, hope everything goes smoothly, take care, Moon x

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Good luck, Bestie and Bestie's follies!!

Julie Tiemann said...

Wow, you've really gone through it lately, girly. Good luck tomorrow - definitely praying!!!! SOOOO excited!

Dr. Blondie said...

Good luck!!

April E. :) said...

Good luck with your retrieval!! Here's to lots of eggies!! After your retrieval drink LOTS and LOTS of fluids, that helped me out alot!! I was quite uncomfortable after my retrieval and I was afraid I had OHSS. So I drank alot of Gatorade and water and adding Benefiber powder to my water helped with bloating too!!
I do hope it all goes well, can't wait to hear how it all goes!
Praying for you! :)

Ruth said...

Glad he is feeling better. my 4 legged brat jumps at about everything too and doesn't realize she isn't 15 pounds.

Get some rest tonight. I know you need it.

Preppy 101 said...

Hoping to hear something soon from you. Have a restful, happy weekend. Xoxo