Thursday, December 16, 2010

I just don't like your uterus.

Well, we had our post-IVF consult this afternoon with Dr. T to discuss next steps.  After talking to him a couple of weeks ago about my lousy beta dropping, I knew he wanted to look at possibly doing a third surgery.  So it was no big surprise today when he suggested that as our next step before moving forward with another cycle.  It would be a fairly "easy" surgery - if there is such a thing - much like my second one (back in September 2007).  But doing so of course would delay us some in trying another IVF cycle. 
 
Good news is I've got 20 frozen embryos.  TWENTY.  I should start selling those puppies on the black market!  That's ten day-1 embryos, four day-5 blastocyst embryos, and six day-6 blastocyst embryos.  Amazing!  We could make a Rogers army and have our own reality show.  So yes, Dr. T further confirmed that obviously egg or embryo quality is NOT our problem.  We knew that.  I told y'all my ovaries kick ass!  It ain't the bun, it's the oven.  My stupid oven.  So further surgery is needed to make my oven more bake-ready. 
 
But, given that we have such a supply of frozens on hand, the hub inquired whether it would make sense to try one frozen cycle first (before jumping in to surgery).  Because we don't know for certain that my uterine septum is the big issue here.  It could be my lining, or some kind of infection, or... who knows?  A frozen cycle is a much easier process on the body and the wallet than a fresh cycle.  And besides, Dr. T said I do not need to ever do a fresh cycle again.  Hello, 20 frozens.  So we're just trying to process all this information and figure out which way to go.  I think I might literally jot down a pros and cons list.  I'm so on the fence at this point! Plus tax season being right around the corner throws a whole other wrench into the equation.
 
Decisions, decisions...
 
Plan A.  Move ahead with surgery (probably would be scheduled sometime in January).  Tax season gets ramped up at the end of January (and maybe sooner), so I'd basically be sitting out till after April 15th.  We'd probably move forward with the first frozen cycle in April/May.  But maybe sooner if the process is easy enough that I could actually work it in during the tail end of tax season.  (Any advice, frozen IVF girls?  How much monitoring is involved?)
 
Plan B.  Do a frozen cycle in January (I would actually have to start the meds next week, so need to figure this out soon!).  If it's a bust, we'll do the surgery but it will most likely have to wait until after April 15th.  There's no way I can take a week off in the middle of tax season!  We already have two tax staff who will be out for maternity leave.  That's right, I'm picking up the slack for the fertiles.
 
Dr. T votes for Plan A, but is perfectly willing to go with Plan B if we want to give it a try.  Ugh, so do you go with your doctor's gut here or do you give it one more try first?  I think I'm leaning toward Plan A, but maybe by like a 10% margin at this point.  I trust my doctor completely, so I know his advice is sound.  But Plan B seems reasonable too - and he agrees.  Trouble with Plan B is that if it doesn't work, our time-line is pushed back even further.  We couldn't attempt another frozen cycle till probably mid or late summer.
 
But then I think of cool things like this... OK if we did Plan B and I got pregnant in January, then our baby would be due early October (if my cycles do what they're supposed to do).  That would be about a month before our 9th anniversary.  Sound familiar, Mom?  Though she was a few years younger than I would be, my mom had me in early October, about a month before my parents' 9th anniversary.  We share the same wedding day, if you recall - November 2nd.  And hello, the baby would be a libra, like me!
 
OK obviously our decision should not weigh heavily on that little fun fact, but seriously how cool would that be?  So, we've got some thinking and praying to do. I'm not at all discouraged - Dr. T believes wholeheartedly that we'll have a baby.  I'm just ready to have our plan in place!  Even if it's a long road ahead, I just like to know where we're going.  Seeking wisdom here...
 
So with all that spinning in my head, guess what I'll be doing tonight! Yep, wrapping a baby shower gift for one of the co-workers who's abandoning us in the middle of tax season to have a baby.  Hahaha... gotta love it!  ;-)

6 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I say go with your gut. If your gut, not Dr, says try one frozen cycle first, go for it. I will support you in whatever you do!!

Susannah said...

Oh gosh, that's hard-it's like you want to try the frozen cycle, but you also want to get the "oven" fixed so you don't "waste." Yikes.

I would do what your gut is telling you. Pray about it for sure! Thinking of you!

Pammy said...

I agree with KK-go with your gut! :) And you know me, "Miss Positive"...at least you have some options! :) And, your ovaries do kick butt! :) This will happen!!! Hang in there in the meantime! XOXO!

Julie Tiemann said...

Yikes! Decisions decisions!! Praying for wisdom for you, and peace no matter what you decide. Good luck, chica!!!!

Hope said...

I got chills when I read your post. My husband I got married on my parent's anniversary, we tried for the exact same amount of time to have a bany, and I am due really close to my birthday. I always had a feeling it was going to work that way. Only you can decide what is best for you, but I say go for the FET first. It would be so neat to have that in common with your parents!

Ruth said...

I would follow your gut.